Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Portraits for Arts on Terry

 Last Sunday I participated in Arts on Terry with the Patchogue Sketch Club. Terry Street in Patchogue is closed for this event. This year our group project was called "We By Us." We were partnered with another member of the group and we did portraits of each other from a photo. 

My friend, Pat Sweeney and I were paired. We were given a 14 x 16 canvas to paint on. Since I do watercolors my canvas was covered with watercolor paper. This was difficult because I don't do too many portraits and I don't work that large! My piece came out OK. I couldn't get Pat to look old enough to match her photo...but I guess younger is better than making her look older. 

Pat wanted the portrait to reflect her life in 2023 so she wanted the portrait to include one of her many hats that she has been wearing since finding a spot of cancer near her left eye. So I did the portrait with a hat. Right before Arts on Terry, Pat had her Mohs surgery and the entire left side of her face was coved in bandages, so she didn't make an appearance at the event. But she was there in spirit and I sent her lots of photos of what was going on. She had some difficulty doing my portrait because her vision was obscured by the bandages. I think she did a pretty good job!

My portrait of Pat.

Pat is on top and the portrait of me is on the bottom.

Here are all the portrait pairs.

All the artists except Pat.

It was fun to see all the different styles and that everyone did something so unique.


4 comments:

  1. What a cool project! And kind of different for you to use a photo reference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a bit different but it would have been too hard to do them live.

      Delete
  2. Awwww, the portraits are great. A really good job by all. You can definitely tell who is who. Hard to work from photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It was a challenge, but even the people that weren't too comfortable doing them, did pretty well.

      Delete