Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Gilgo Beach House

One of the beach areas here on Long Island that was always popular with surfers is Gilgo Beach. Unfortunately it was one of those places where you had to be a resident of a particular town to gain access and park without paying a high price. Since I didn't surf and there were so many wonderful beaches I could go to I was went to Gilgo during the season. I have visited off season when you can park without a problem. There is a small area with a road and maybe about a dozen houses. I drove over there the other day with my Strathmore Toned Tan Sketchbook, my pens (including my white Signo gel pen), my watercolor pans and watercolor pencils. I sketched this house on Cottage Lane.

I wasn't really happy with the way the white looks. It seems too bright for the other colors. I tried going over the white with a dry watercolor pencil, but it didn't do much to tone it down. As much as I love having a white pen that works I do wish they made it in more of a cream color too. I've checked at Blick when I've shopped there but didn't see any other light colors. I'll have to check online.



2 comments:

  1. Try using a white colored pencil instead (Prismacolor is a good one). It's more subtle than a gel pen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, Tina. I know I have one somewhere that I've used for snow scenes.

      Delete