Saturday, January 28, 2023

Gelli Printing

My closet and brain are filled with different projects I keep saying I'm going to try. I've watched a lot of videos on gelli botanical prints and thought I'd give it a try. I collected some dried flowers and leaves to use. I got mixed results with this technique and it seems that dried flowers and leaves tend not to be the best items to use. They tend to leave behind seeds and residue that stays behind in the paint and affects the print. I'll have to try again with fresher items. Here are the prints I did.

This one was my favorite because the dark undercolor showed the most.


This one didn't have enough of a design from the items.




This was done with dried flowers but I couldn't press them down enough to get paint between the individual flowers. The flowers were too tick.


This one was done with more pliable leaves but it didn't leave enough of an imprint
inside the larger shapes.

Parts of this came out better than the others, but the technique still needs work.

            I will have to give this another shot. I kept the paints and gelli plate out so I can try again.




4 comments:

  1. Intriguing results, even if they are not what you intended. I used to do printmaking years ago, and it can be quite unpredictable. This method is cool that you can do them at home, though. I used to go to a printmaking studio to use their big presses, which were so heavy and hard to turn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have worked a few times with the big presses. This is SO MUCH easier.

      Delete
  2. These are pretty. Very interesting designs. Have fun with your new printing ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. At this time of year a lot of the leaves and stuff are much too dry. I watched someone do a print with a tulip. Of course the demo came out great. lol

      Delete