Sunday, December 29, 2019

Noguchi Museum Part I

The NYC Urban Sketchers visited the Noguchi Museum in Long Island City yesterday. The sketchers had been there before but I had missed that sketching opportunity. I didn't know much about the artist, so here is a bit of his bio from the museum website.
Isamu Noguchi (1904–1988) was one of the twentieth century’s most important and critically acclaimed sculptors. Through a lifetime of artistic experimentation, he created sculptures, gardens, furniture and lighting designs, ceramics, architecture, and set designs. His work, at once subtle and bold, traditional and modern, set a new standard for the reintegration of the arts.

The museum is in a huge, two-floor red industrial building and has meditation gardens outside and lots of Noguchi's sculptures all around the inside galleries as well as the outside gardens. I liked the way the sculptures looked against the big windows overlooking the gardens.


On the top floor there were a lot of smaller sculptures that almost looked like they were set into the floor.


While I was sketching there was a docent giving a tour. It was interesting to hear some of the details of his life. The complete bio on the museum website is an interesting read.

I also forgot to post this sketch of Toby, my sister's dog. I kept trying the whole time we were in Maine to sketch him but he moves too much. Finally I had part of him sketched and my nephew sat with him so he would stay and I could finish the rest of the sketch. He actually is Michael's dog.




6 comments:

  1. Great capture of Toby! As I was sketching my friends' old black cat the other day, I was saying that I was glad she isn't a frisky pup constantly jumping around! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL That describes Toby exactly...although he does have moments when he wears himself out and just falls asleep like a toddler. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Finally got that Toby!
    What an interesting museum and sculptures. I love seeing New York without the hassle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I'm glad to let you travel with me. I was determined to get at least one sketch of Toby before we left. Every time he seemed to quiet down and I would go get my materials he would be ready to play. lol

      Delete
  3. New York has so many interesting places for you to sketch and share - thank you1. Cute dog sketch but your story made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks so much. It was an interesting museum. I'm glad I finally captured Toby on paper.

      Delete