Saturday, October 5, 2019

Inktober Day 5 - At Domino Park

Today the NYC Urban Sketchers met at Domino Park in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. It was built on the grounds of the former Domino Sugar Refinery. Some of the buildings and structures were renovated and incorporated into the design of the park.

Of course I had to do one sketch for Inktober, so I focused on these tanks that once contained syrup. In the background is the actual building that housed the Domino Sugar Factory. It is being restored and converted into apartments/condos. I used my Elegant Writer pen, my Lamy filled with permanent platinum carbon black ink, and an orange micron pen.
#inktober
#inktober2019
#momentsketchers


At the end of the promenade under the Brooklyn Bridge there was a view of a restaurant, the skyline, and an area with some utility trucks and equipment. How could I resist those yellow trucks?


For my third sketch I focused on what I think are cranes and conveyors that must have been used to load and unload the sugar or the raw materials off boats that came up the river. In the back is a tank used in the refining process.



8 comments:

  1. Gosh, these are so good. Such an interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a fun place with even more to sketch.

      Delete
  2. This park looks fascinating! It reminds me of Gas Works Park in Seattle, where a bunch of huge old industrial tanks and piping and are still there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a few parks that were built around industrial structures. They are fun to sketch.

      Delete
  3. More wonderful sketches today, Joan! These renovations are community gems. Wish they were created more often:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. I like when they incorporate the old structures with a nice park.

      Delete
  4. These are wonderful Joan. Thank you so much for sharing some info about the location. How cool that they are renovating to make apartments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad they are keeping the outside of the building. It will retain the character of what was there.

      Delete