Monday, March 12, 2018

The Rock

This was painted up at Sunken Meadow State Park in Smithton recently. It was the first time in a long time that I actually got out of the car and sat on my painting chair at an outdoor location. It has been too cold or windy even if it seemed mild enough. This day I was able to sit with no gloves or hat...wonderful. I ignored the bit of wind. Of course a day or two later we had a snowstorm. lol

This rock is surrounded by the hillside, the parking lot, and Sunken Meadow Creek which runs into the bay there. When Long Island had the horrible flooding from Hurricane Sandy it changed the way the land and the marsh areas were. This rock had been completely submerged for quite a while. I am glad it is back, although many of the birds that were always there no longer come to the rock. It is a pretty spot.


7 comments:

  1. Beautifully painted Joan..I always love the stories behind the paintings.. The bird is perfect on top of the rock...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilda. Sunken Meadow is a great place to paint.

      Delete
  2. Do you have a painting from the same location before Sandy? It would be interesting to see the two together and how things have changed. This one looks serenely beautiful. Glad you got a brief bit of outdoor sketching, too!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I never painted the rock before this. I'm always drawn to the water view in the other direction.

      Delete
  3. A very nice painting Joan. I like the variety of colour in this piece. Glad the rock is visible again and I am sure the birds will come back eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. I appreciate how you comment so often.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful and love the colors in this.

    ReplyDelete