Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Inktober - Day 4 - Creatures

Today I went to the Suffolk County Farm to sketch animals. I wanted to practice sketching with the twig, so I used that for this sketch of the sheep. The second sheep wasn't cooperating and was sleeping with his backside facing me. #inktober #inktober2017


In a nearby pen there were two peacocks. This one was so colorful but kept turning away and going inside the little house to eat. I kept following it around trying to stay on the same side of it so I could finish the sketch. I did this one directly in watercolors.



10 comments:

  1. These are great, Joan! I think I enjoy sketching animals more than almost anything. . .though they often aren't cooperative!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Tina. They are less cooperative than humans. :)

      Delete
  2. I am afraid of sketching animals, I think it`s hard to draw accurate proportions and to capture the right texture of fur. But your sheeps are amazing. I really want to learn how to draw birds and I like the sketch of the peacock. It looks so simple but still with so many great details.
    Have a nice day.
    Nadja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nadja. Animals are hard to do and it is difficult to see exactly how their bodies are shaped when they move so much. lol

      Delete
  3. Joan - amazing what you can do with that twig. It adds a nice touch of texture to the Lamb's wool too. Love your Peacock...would have so enjoyed watching you trying to capture him...the thought makes me smile. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thanks so much. I kept walking back and forth to get the view of him. He kept sneaking away.

      Delete
  4. These are just super. Sheep are so “friendly” looking. Good job on the moving peacock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. The hardest part on the sheep was the snout. It didn't stay facing me the same way.

      Delete
  5. These are fun Joan and I had to laugh about the peacock. Why can't they realize that they are being immortalized and cooperate - lol. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks. I think they can sense my hand moving and they thing "I'm not going to let her do that!" lol

      Delete