Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Inktober Day 31 - Brookhaven View & Thoughts

Today is the final day of Inktober 2017. My last sketch was done with my twig and Chinese ink on the property where my plein air group was invited to paint in Brookhaven today. This is my first time trying to do moving water with this method...and it worked.

Was Inktober worth doing? I say yes, and here are my reasons.

#1 - It gave me the opportunity to look at and think about values a bit more than usual. Concentrating on values will help me with my watercolor paintings too.

#2 - I practiced the twig and Chinese ink technique a lot. I think I counted about a dozen days when I used this technique. Without this challenge I'm sure I would have maybe done one twig sketch in the month...if that. Doing it so often helped me tweak the technique a little to make it work better for me. I added more ink to my container than KK recommended for us, and found out the ink wasn't quite waterproof. That gave me the option to use a water brush with it too and take advantage of the fact that it might bleed.

#3 - Sometimes it is worth forcing yourself to do something even when it would be much easier to just sit on the couch and relax. 

Will I do it again? Most definitely!

#inktober #inktober2017


I would also like to wish everyone a Happy Halloween!!! I am hoping we get some trick-or-treaters today so I am not left with two bags of candy! So far we have not had anyone....this does not bode well. lol



6 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing Inktober, and thanks for your summary! I could see your twig sketches really getting bolder as the month went on, and it was cool to see how you turned it into your own style!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I never would have made the progress without doing so many for the challenge.

      Delete
  2. You did a great job for October. Congratulations!
    The twig sketches are so special. They look retro and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed seeing your progress through the month - especially the twig pieces. I like this one - the rocks and water are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. I notice they came out different depending on the type of paper too.

      Delete