Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Inktober Day 17 - Huge Tree & Green-Wood Cemetery Part III

My plein air painting group went to Frank Melville Memorial Park in Setauket this morning. I've sketched and painted there many times. Sometimes it is hard to find something to inspire you when you have been there before. I think in the entire landscape there was one tree that had changed color and the red barn that usually entices me was wrapped in orange fencing because they are repairing it. So a friend and I walked around a bit on one of the paths I hadn't been on before. We found this huge tree with a strange bamboo grove behind it. It wasn't something I would paint but I thought it made a good Inktober subject. I used my twig, Chinese ink, and a stencil brush for this one.
#inktober #inktober2017


My last sketch from Green-Wood Cemetery was done from up on a hill looking back at the main entrance to the cemetery. I believe that the highest spot in Brooklyn is in Green-Wood Cemetery. Up at the top of that tall spire in the entrance is this huge nest and it is the home to the Brooklyn parrots. Parrots you ask...yes. There is a large colony of parrots that make their home in the entrance to Green-Wood Cemetery. Apparently back in the 1960s the parrots escaped from a shipment which arrived at Kennedy Airport which was coming from South America. The escapees found their way to Brooklyn. They have been there ever since. It is fun to watch them flying in and out of the openings in the entryway. I wish they came down a little closer so you could really see them.



5 comments:

  1. That tree done with a twig is quite striking! Your parrot story reminds me of a similar colony of parrots (or maybe parakeets) in San Francisco. I wanted to see them up close too, but I could just see them flying far in the distance.

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. Apparently there are colonies of the parrots/parakeets in a lot of places.

      Delete
  2. You chose your subject well and with the twig tool it is a great combination, really beautiful! Your cemetery story made me smile. I can't imagine parrots in a place of rest. Your sketch turned out gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia, thank you. I'm having fun seeing how the twig can be used for different things.

      Delete
  3. Well done Joan. Your sketch of the tree and bamboo is very interesting and the story about the parrots is too. Thanks again for sharing your adventure through your sketches and your stories.

    ReplyDelete