Monday, April 7, 2014

Time Away From Home - Part I

Over on the "Paper, Paint, Pencils, & Pens" blog our new theme is "Time Away From Home."
We are sketching places and things that remind us of vacations, trips, or any time we spent away from home. I am doing sketches from photos taken on my many trips.

I started with a sketch of a musician my husband and I saw playing on the street in downtown Galway, Ireland last April. There was so much music in the pubs and on the streets there. I really enjoyed it. Yes, this young man did have red hair and a red beard.


In 1970 I took my first vacation with a friend. I wasn't even 21 years old yet when Suzanne and I flew out to California. We stayed a few days with her cousin and his family. Then we drove up the coast from San Diego to San Francisco making a few stops along the route. This was done from a very faded photo I took in Malibu.


I was young and in fairly good shape then. Here is a sketch of me in my bikini on the beach in Malibu. The blanket was a purchase we made when we took a trip down to Tiajuana, Mexico from San Diego. This was also done from one of my photos.


Backtracking to an earlier time, here is a sketch of a family vacation from when I was a kid. We rented this very rustic cabin on Little Sebago Lake in Maine. The cabin had a fireplace for heat on the cool Maine summer nights and only cold water and no tub or shower. Each cottage (I think there were 5.) had a rowboat and we spent a lot of time rowing around the lake. We thought it was paradise and went back for a week for a few summers. We always cried when it was time to go home. 


There will be more to come.



10 comments:

  1. These look really good Joan. That sounds like another fun group you are in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is a fun group and forces me to do a little more painting.

      Delete
  2. I love all of these sketches , Joan! The last sketch looks like the perfect spot for a quiet vacation! I would cry as well if I had to leave !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL We always made the next family arriving feel bad, but we loved it there. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous sketches, Joan, all of them! I have a fondness for redheads and I remember when I might have gotten away with a bikini but way too long ago now! That cabin is exquisite and wouldn't I love to live in a place like that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL No bikini is going on this body any more. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Oh Joan - great sketches with so many wonderful memories attached. It must be like reliving those special places all over again when you paint them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I love about the present them. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Great sketches Joan, the musician looks "so irish" I love reading your posts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you did our cabin in Maine. I think this one was called "Peek-And-See". Love the musician too. :)

    ReplyDelete