Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Trip to NYC

Last Wednesday my sister, Mickey and I planned a trip to see the American Watercolor Society Show in Manhattan. We decided to combine it with a bit of sketching. Like everything this year it was an adventure because of the "spring" conditions of cold, snow and ice, and wind. We have not been lucky weather wise. Since it was really cold when we got into the city we decided to sketch from indoors looking out. We went upstairs in the Whole Foods on 14th Street overlooking Union Square Park. They have a cafe area that has huge windows and we found a table right up front in a great spot.

First I sketched Union Square Park which had some trees and shrubs in bloom...and as always people.


Next I focused on one of the street lamps and signs.


The taxis on the corner caught my eye. I need to practice car shapes, but they are much harder to do from up above. There were a few food carts on the corner too.


Then we went off to have lunch and see the show (which was fabulous).
When we got out of the show we headed back to the park to do one more sketch. It had warmed up a bit so we were able to sit in the sun and sketch comfortably. I liked the combination of the flowering trees, the closed umbrellas, and the lady in her coat with the hood up.






9 comments:

  1. So many great sketches! I'm always impressed by how many sketches you manage to do in one outing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All wonderful sketches, Joan, but I do so love the lamp post piece and the blue umbrellas too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tina. When I go out like this I'm sketching for a long time.

    Sherry - Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these sketches, Joan!...Great sketch of the lady with the hood up!
    I was very upset that of all days, I didn't read Newsday...I was busy with "something".. and I just asked my husband where the newspaper was and he said that the recycle truck came and picked it up!!!! I told him that you were in the newspaper and he said "I know...he saw it but he didn't know that I knew you...!!! As soon as I finish I'm going to my neighbors house...maybe she still has it! To me that's very exciting...LOL.

    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Hilda. I only get Newsday on Sunday so I made sure to go out and get a copy in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Hilda. I only get Newsday on Sunday so I made sure to go out and get a copy in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a bit skeptical about sketching from the Whole Foods building, but we ended up with a great view and some pretty good sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, how lucky are you to be able to just pop into Manhattan for the day!? It's on my bucket list! Love your sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mickey - Whole Foods worked well. It was nice and warm too.

    Wendy - Thanks so much. It is a fun place.

    ReplyDelete