Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Bayman's Cottage - 2 Versions

About a month ago I was featured on a Facebook page called Sayville Artists. The person running the page posted about 25 of my sketches (most of Sayville). As a result I was contacted by several people who were interested in my work. One woman was interested in a painting I had done of the Bayman's Cottage on the grounds of the Long Island Maritime Museum in Sayville. It seems that the cottage originally belonged to her grandparents and at some point her grandfather donated the cottage to the Maritime Museum. It was moved there from its original location in Sayville. The woman lives in Florida now but has great memories of sitting on the porch and wanted to purchase the painting as a remembrance. It was a painting I had started for Paint the Great South Bay one year, but it started raining and I never completed the painting. I told her that  she could purchase it as it was or if she wanted I would finish the painting for her. She also decided she wanted a smaller version of the painting to give as a gift to her uncle who lives in the house where it is on the museum grounds. The two paintings are very similar.

This is the original one and is 8 x 10.


Here is the smaller 5 x 7 version done for her uncle.

As I worked on the original one I realized there were no shadows anywhere (since it was raining) and no background trees. I made quite a few additions.


6 comments:

  1. Congrats on being featured and the sales that resulted! That's really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was just in contact with another woman who wants one of the sketches I did of her mom's house and wants a larger version to give her parents as a gift. Yay!!

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that the FB page featuring your super art resulted in a sale. These are charming paintings Joan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. So far I've sold 5 sketches/paintings from being featured. It feels good.

      Delete