Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Rhodies

Yesterday PALS, my plein air group met at the Bayard Cutting Arboretum in Oakdale. The rhodies wee in bloom so that's where we headed. They are such pretty flowers but not easy to paint because there are so many flowers. I started out with an 8 x 10 painting, but it was taking me forever to fill in all the space around the blossoms I was working on. I decided to crop it from the original. Here is the cropped painting which is now 5 x 7.


Here is a photo of my painting as I was working on it against the actual flowers.





8 comments:

  1. This is really lovely, Joan... you nailed the pinks perfectly, and the tiny details, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. They are really complex flowers when you look at them closely.

      Delete
  2. Excellent! Love that you showed them together. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Joan that is a beautiful painting. You are so right about being difficult to paint. You got it handled well though my friend. Have a super Memorial Day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, they look so simple until you look at each cluster and there are about 10 blossoms on each. lol Thank you. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  4. This is lovely Joan. Rhodies and Azaleas have to be some of the hardest flowers to paint but yu did a great job with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks. They are so complex and you can't do just one of them. lol

      Delete