Friday, May 3, 2019

A Parting Gift

When we met with the orchestra the first day, I sat at the table in the Piazza San Marco and started a sketch of the musicians from the Caffe Lavena who were led by Daniela David, the violinist. I worked on it a bit and then put it aside. Toward the end of the trip I pulled it back out and finished it. Then I took it to a copy place and had 5 copies made of it. I gave it as a gift to each of the members of the orchestra. They were thrilled and had so much fun looking at how each of them looked in the sketch. I was told it was much better than a photo.


My friend, Tina Koyama asked me to post a photo of the pen I used for the sepia ink sketches. This is a "Murano" glass pen. For the price I paid for it I am sure it is not real Murano glass, but some cheap copy...but it served my purpose.


7 comments:

  1. What a great gift your sketch is to the musicians! And thanks for the photo of your glass pen! Even if it is not Murano glass, it sure is cool! I like the linework you've been getting with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I will have to use it now that I'm home too.

      Delete
  2. Great sketch but even nicer was your generosity.
    They cannot say Murano if it is not, but don't forget the apprentices - they are learning and I wouldn't mind betting this is part of the trade lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I didn't think of that being a possibility.

      Delete
  3. What a super gift to give the musicians - a nice remembrance of your visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thank you. I know they really appreciated it and I will treasure it.

      Delete
  4. Don’t think I commented on all the great sketches, but this is a lovely ending. Nice pen.

    ReplyDelete