Thursday, May 9, 2019

At the Farm

I visited the Suffolk County Farm in Yaphank the other day and decided to focus on the birds. The turkey was strutting his stuff and didn't stay still for long. I sketched him directly in watercolor.


The chickens are usually always in the same place but they weren't there. I asked one of the workers and she told me they moved them to a different enclosure. There used to be a real scrawny one that looked like he had been in a fight with some animal and lost, but I didn't see him when I was there. I hope something didn't happen to him. I worked on all three of these at the same time...waiting for each of them to come back to the same or similar pose.


7 comments:

  1. Looks like fun and nice sketches of the fowls. I wonder if this is the same place where you and Suzala went to do some sketching not too long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. No, this was at a farm that is closer to me. The others were in (of all places) the back of a huge parking lot at a restaurant/caterer.

      Delete
  2. Very nice, Joan! It's always a challenge sketching moving animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks! I find myself talking to them to get them to turn around.

      Delete
  3. Well done. Turkeys are so interesting looking and interesting animals. They make good watchdogs….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A friend in CA used to have wild turkeys on her property and at the end of the day they would all line up like planes waiting on a runway and then take turns running and flying up into the trees for the night.

      Delete
  4. Darn birds should learn to stay still when someone is sketching them - lol. Great job on all of these under the circumstances!

    ReplyDelete