Tuesday, May 7, 2019

NY Botanical Garden Part 2

I headed up to the lilac garden next. There was so much in bloom and so many different kinds of lilacs. The fragrance was wonderful!!! Lilacs are not easy to sketch because of the tiny little parts of the flowers. I used my watercolor pencils to give them some texture to look like the little flowers.


Adjacent to the lilacs was a peony garden. One of the volunteers told us that the wife of the entertainer, Bob Hope had lived in the Bronx when she was growing up and loved visiting the garden. She donated money to the NY Botanic Garden for them to create a special area. They bought the collection of peony plants so the whole collection came from her donation. I started with a closeup of one of the peonies.


At 3:00 the NYC Urban Sketchers met for our show and tell. It was still early so my friends and I decided to stay and do one more sketch. I did this view of the peony garden and the lady that was busy looking at the flowers.


6 comments:

  1. You did a fantastic job on these, especially the lilacs! I agree -- they are not easy to do, but you got the texture just right. Ours are blooming now too... so fragrant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I watched James Gurney paint them like they were nothing. lol

      Delete
  2. Mmm, thanks for the lilacs. I miss those. I guess it is too hot here for them. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - so much in bloom. Great thanks for sharing Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I like how you added texture of the little specs of lilac flowers with your WC pencil.

    ReplyDelete