Monday, April 29, 2019

Doorway and View to the Canal

I just love the doorways  here in Venice...the older and mire rustic the better. I liked the aged wood in this one.

The second sketch was done looking thru a sotoportego toward the canal. A sotoportego is a covered part of a street. They have been coming in very handy with all the rain we’ve had because I can sit under them and be pretty dry.. True to firm, just before I finished this I heard thunder and just got myself and my materials underneath before it started to pour. I bought an umbrella at the first shop I came to that was selling them on the walk to the vaporetto but I was soaked by the time I got home. Siri, us definitely too rainy here.






8 comments:

  1. Ah Joan lovely sketches in spite of the rain. You know how to share Venice with us so well through your great art. Take care and have a super day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thank you so much for all your sweet comments about my work. I am glad you enjoyed seeing my sketches of Venice.

      Delete
  2. wow - that first door is so close to the water - strange and so not my thing . Too bad about the weather but you are still managing to share Venice with us - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the doorways are close to the water and flood often. Most of the buildings along the canals either have installed a way to keep the water out (which works some of the time) or in most cases the 1st floor is not used. In most of the places in Venice where we have rented there are no apartments on the ground floor for that reason.

      Delete
  3. You are sure finding some gorgeous doorways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, super texture on these doorways. You give them the old look, just so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things in Venice usually have that old look to them. I wonder if there is some kind of law about how much modernization is allowed.

      Delete