Sunday, March 3, 2019

Railroad Crossing

Not too long ago I did a sketch of some worn, graffitied buildings along the train tracks in Sayville. That sketch is here. I went back the other day to see what the buildings looked like from the other side of the track and I really wanted to know what the tall building actually was. Well, I found the location along the other street but the building is way, way back in the yard of another building...and that building itself doesn't look to hospitable. It has several "no parking" signs on the front of it. Unless you actually went down the driveway of that building you really can't see much of the tall building. There are open areas in the front of it so maybe it is some kind of barn or storage building. There wasn't a view that made it possible to sketch it. So I ended up going back across the tracks and I sat in my mobile studio facing the railroad crossing at the end of the street.


9 comments:

  1. Thank you for your investigative and visual reporting. Now we know what is on the other side of the tracks. Very nice job of capturing the minute details of the railroad crossing scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. Like you I find it fun to sketch the everyday things that are around us.

      Delete
  2. I love the way you make “everyday views” so interesting and beautiful. Even from the wrong side of the tracks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thank you, Jo. I'm always fascinate by the backs of buildings and houses when I pass through on the train...but those views are too quick to sketch.

      Delete
  3. Joan this is just wonderful...the railroad tracks are just perfectly rendered. Also can feel that there might be a bit of sun trying to peep through. Have a super day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thank you so much! Snow today followed by sunshine. We seem to be getting it all. Have a great day!

      Delete
  4. Too bad about not being able to get a good look at that tall building. You turned a disappointment into a great sketching day tough because this painting it wonderful. The crossing signs, the tracks, the caution sign and the buildings in the back are all super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks. Since I was near the tracks I figured I would sketch them one way or the other.

      Delete
  5. I can’t keep up with you!!!! Lol. This is amazing ,
    ...a beautiful watercolor Joan. The railroad tracks are beautifully painted!!!!!

    ReplyDelete