Monday, March 11, 2019

Musicians

Yesterday was a rainy, damp day so I needed an indoor spot for sketching. I checked out all the local library calendars to see if any of them were having a performance in the afternoon. Two of them were, and I settled on the event at the Patchogue-Medford Library. In honor of St. Patrick's Day they had two musicians, Tom Donovan and Paul Henry singing and playing Irish songs, ballads and a few jigs. They were pretty good. It wasn't crowded and I sat myself in the second row on the far right to sketch. They moved a little but it was fairly easy to sketch them both. I did the sketch in pencil, then added watercolors and added the ink last, using Noodler's Battleship Gray Ink which is permanent but not as in your face as black. When the show was over the two ladies sitting behind me told me they noticed I was sketching and wanted to see what I did. Then I went over to the musicians to thank them for the performance and to show them the sketch. They loved it and both took photos of it. It was a good day!



12 comments:

  1. Very nicely done. It's always fascinating to hear the behind-the-scenes story of a sketch such as this one. Good day for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. It is fun to sketch and be entertained at the same time.

      Delete
  2. What fun! And great sketches! It's cool that your local libraries host musical events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Our libraries have music and dance programs all the time. I don't take advantage of them very often.

      Delete
  3. Joan I bet the musicians were more than pleased with your lovely sketch. What a wonderful job Joan. Hope you are having a great day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were thrilled that someone sketched them.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great day Joan. Beautifully sketched!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Joan. A nice mix - music and painting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, two of our favorite things, art and music! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The only thing missing was the drinks. lol They did have Irish soda bread and bottles of water in the back.

      Delete