Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Beach Sketches

Yesterday I took a ride out to Dune Road in the Hamptons. It is a barrier beach that runs from Westhampton through East Quogue, Quogue, and Hampton Bays. This part of Long Island has been a favorite of mine since I was in my 20s and I always tell Jerry that when I die I want my ashes sprinkled there. Along the road are million dollar mansions, some condos, a few resorts as well as a few small cottages. It is a beautiful area but at high tide it is very often flooded in spots. Beach parking in the summer is expensive unless you are a resident, but at this time of year you can park easily. I planned on parking at Ponquogue Beach because the parking lot has great views across the dunes and bay and a pavilion with tables where you can sometimes be sheltered from the wind. Just my luck...the parking lot was closed because they are rebuilding the beach pavilion. I ended up driving along heading back west and checking out every parking lot along the way. Most spots had no view of the water unless you were out of the car, and it was too windy yesterday to do that. Finally in Quogue I found a small lot that is more of a street.  It went up to Dolphin Beach where there was a small opening in the dunes. I could just see the water from my car...perfect! When I finished my watercolor I turned the car around to leave and noticed that the view looking toward the bay was nice too, so I did that view as well.



6 comments:

  1. Excellent! Now I have an idea of a back-to-back view of where you were. Always refreshing to see you seascape scene paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mel. Now you can track me down. lol

      Delete
  2. Wonderful sketches and really nice to hear your feelings about the beach! Your affection comes through in the paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both wonderful Joan. The feeling of being invited to walk down the path/road that you manage to give the work is super.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great and would look beautiful framed to hang together.

    ReplyDelete