Sunday, March 10, 2019

Spring Is In the Air!

Yesterday I met my friend, Suzala in Northport to sketch. On the way I noticed they had quite a bit more snow than we did on the south shore. Sitting in the car with the sun shining made us decide to give plein air sketching a chance. So we parked down by the water where the kayaks are stored and found a patch where the snow had already melted and wasn't muddy. It was warm enough to sit our wearing a coat...and no gloves or hat!!! There were still kayaks out which seemed unusual with the snow still on the ground. This was my first watercolor sketch of the day.


When I finished I turned slightly and did a quick ink sketch of Suzala.


Here is my sketch against my subject and a photo of Suzala at work.



Suzala had about an hour before she had to leave so we headed into the center of town. We sat in the warm sun on the steps of a closed office to sketch the view across the way. I started with the car in the foreground and as soon as my pen reached to sketch the roof the owner got into it and of course left. lol That's one of the hazards of plein air painting. lol I continued with the cars across the street and then the buildings. I didn't have time to add color so I think I'll leave this just as a line sketch.

All in all, our sketching day was a pleasant surprise.



8 comments:

  1. Great sketches! Oh, what fun to get out and not have to sit in the car….

    ReplyDelete
  2. Envy!! Hope the weather stays plein air for you, at least for a little while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. Was warm enough to sit out today but too windy. I resorted to the mobile studio again.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful sketches Joan... your watercolor is beautiful... I can imagine a real estate office with your sketches on their wall. A little bit of Long Island... I missed your last watercolor of the gulls...nicely painted....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thank, Hilda. I hope the real estate offices are listening. lol

      Delete
  4. It looks like you and Suzala had a great day with some super sketches to prove it. I really enjoy the detail you put in your ink pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks so much. It is rare that I leave something just as an ink sketch. I was itching to do some shading with the ink but it was waterproof. lol

      Delete