Sunday, October 28, 2018

Inktober 2018 - Day 28 - At the Car Show

Today I headed out to Riverhead to a classic car show that was being held outside the Hotel Indigo. My thinking was that this would be a good place for my Day 28 Inktober sketch. I've been wanting to make some notecards with cars on them so I brought along good, loose paper that was 5 x 7 to sketch on. As you came in there was this vintage 1927 Ford parked by the hotel. I found a spot to sit across from it where it should be a pretty clear view to see the car. It worked well and nobody blocked me for more than 2 seconds. Several people wandered over to look at what I was doing. When I finished I took a few photos of it and the actual car.
#inktober, #inktober2018



Here are a few other cars that caught my eye. It seemed like it would be too disruptive to sit and sketch any of these in the middle of all the people so I took photos and started to leave. 



But on my way out there was a Harley that was parked right near where I had been sitting earlier, so I stopped to sketch it. While I was sketching the bike a man came over and said that people told him I had been sketching his car earlier and he asked to see the sketch. He wanted to know if it was for sale and bought it. So this year Inktober has been a financial success with a sale. lol I'm glad I had taken a photo of the sketch earlier, so I can still make prints of the sketch.

Anyway, here is the Harley that I sketched. This one I did in ink and watercolors.




13 comments:

  1. Sketching at car shows is definitely a challenge. It's often hard to find a spot to sketch from where you won't be in the way and still get a clear view of the car...at least while people aren't in front of it. At least neither one drove off while you were sketching, that's happened to me many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the hazards of sketching on location. The problem with the car shows is that they are mostly parked like they are in a parking lot and you can't find a spot where you can see enough to sketch. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Awesome sketches, Joan, and congrats on the instant sale! I love sketching at car shows -- so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tina. You stand so that may be easier. I want to be comfortable and seated. lol

      Delete
  3. LOVE these sketches Joan!!!! Of course I had to show them to by husband since he loves the old cars....well done, my friend!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilda. I thought car sketches might make some nice note cards...add that to all the things I am already trying to get ready. lol

      Delete
  4. I like both of these. They tell nice stories. Congrats on the sale! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. A little extra cash always makes my day. You know where I will spend it. lol

      Delete
  5. Joan fabulous sketch of this old car. I can see why the owner would have wanted it. Congratulations on the sale. Love your Harley motorcycle sketch too. You will soon be finished with inktober. Wonderful fun to see your work friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thanks so much. It has been a fun Inktober, but I'm ready to get back to color. Have a great week!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful sketches Joan and what a bonus to sell your first piece. You did a great job on the motorcycle and the addition of colour is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, I love when people buy something on the spot! The owner said he bought this car about 4 years ago. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  7. A very productive sketch outing. Congratulations on selling your first sketch on the spot.

    ReplyDelete