Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Inktober 2018 - Day 10

Outside my development we have had workers busy digging underground for weeks. They seem to be slowly...and I do mean slowly... working their way south. I figured I should sketch them and their machinery while they were here, so I sat in my car nearby to do my sketch. Most of the men had their cars and trucks parked on the same street and kept going back and forth. One of them noticed what I was doing as he passed and he commented on how he loved the sketch. Then another guy came over, and another, and then two more. I think the first guy sent all the others over to take a look. All the workmen came to check it out and comment on who I had included in the sketch, even asking me to make one of the hardhats red. They asked if I could bring them a copy when it was finished and that was when I asked them what they were doing and how long they would be there. They are running a sewer connection to a new development that is being built quite a way south of mine...and they will be there definitely through November. I guess I will have time to do more than one sketch of them.
#inktober #inktober2018


8 comments:

  1. You know how much I like heavy equipment! ;-) A similar incident happened when I sketched a team of utility workers. I think they were all amazed that someone would want to sketch them working!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people are impressed when we sketch the ordinary things in life.

      Delete
  2. It's fun to read the back story to your sketches. Can't wait to see what the next sketch update is with these guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to find a different view of them...or a different piece of machinery.

      Delete
  3. What a great job Joan. And, yes, I too find it amazing that you always manage to make the ordinary into a super sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always attracted to scenes like this but usually there is no place to sit safely. lol Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Right, ordinary to super. Fits! I love the story. I often take photos of workers on the road and never paint. Interesting shapes to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jo. Workers are always fun to sketch.

    ReplyDelete