Sunday, September 23, 2018

Beach Sketches

On Wednesday I went down to the beach in Sayville. It was a Jewish holiday so the local kids were off from school and there were a number of them around the beach and play area. These three were fun to sketch.


Then that evening the Patchogue Sketch Club went to Shirley Beach for what will probably be our last beach sketch night for the year since it is getting dark so early and we have other events planned for the next few weeks. This was my first visit to Shirley Beach. In fact I didn't know it was there. First I sketched the view looking down the beach along the bay. 


Then I noticed that the sun was setting, so I turned around to capture that. It was hard to do because the colors changed so fast and the air was very humid so the paper wasn't drying. It is hard to do layers of watercolor that way. lol




5 comments:

  1. Oh, Joan, I love this post. I feel I took a trip to Shirley Beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, thanks so much. You know how much I love the beach. lol

      Delete
  2. Sand, Sea, and Sky sketches...all very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. I have a hard time staying away from the beach for any length of time.

      Delete
  3. Brr! too cold for beaches here! Super sketch of the kids on the beach Joan. Too bad about the sunset but they are tough to capture on site as they are so fleeting.

    ReplyDelete