Tuesday, October 28, 2014

45th World Wide SketchCrawl

The 45th World Wide SketchCrawl took place on Oct 18th, two Saturdays ago.

My friend and I went in on the NYC Subway so I had time to do a few people in pencil before the train got too crowded and we couldn't see across to the seats on the other side.



The NYC Urban Sketchers met at the new section of the High Line Park in Manhattan which now goes up to 34 St. For those who do not know about the High Line it is a park that has been built above ground on a former rail line. The newest section overlooks among other things, the rail yards where most of the trains come into Penn Station and Grand Central. There are views across the Hudson River to NJ and of course the skyline.


Through the course of the day we probably had close to 20 sketchers join for all or part of the day.
Here are some of the sketchers and the tourists enjoying the cloudy morning, sitting on the "bleachers."


My first sketch was of all the converging train lines in the rail yard. There were a few cranes thrown in for good measure. Rumor has it that eventually the rail yard will become a park, but I think it just adds to the city look and I hope it stays.


I began sketching the view across to NJ and a helicopter came in for a landing at the heliport. I started sketching it and of course it didn't stay close enough for me to get many details, but I figured at some point it would take off again and I could add a bit more. I must have waited nearly an hour before I was able to add anything. Jim and Pat managed to sneak into the sketch too.



Then I sketched some of the people on the bleachers...some busy sketching and some just enjoying the views or taking photos.


After lunch we returned to the High Line and I did another view. This time I put Denise into the sketch.


At the end of the day we went to a "dive" of a bar and shared our work.
It was a fun day and a good location for sketching. My thanks to Susan for organizing the day, finding a place for lunch, and a great "local" bar with a lot of character. I should have sketched that too.


12 comments:

  1. Oh that looks like such fun. What an experience for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice perspective on the trains! These are all great... I saw a documentary about the High Line recently and I'm itchin' to see and sketch it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan - such an interesting place and your sketches really do a wonderful job of capturing the sense of the place. What fun you always seem to have with all the sketchers. Hope you have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very seasoned Joan to complete so many, so much work in the train scene too, brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joan, I really am awed by how much you accomplish. I too love the old train yards and marvel at the history they contain. Your colors are phenomenal, your compositions just exquisite. Can I have some of your energy???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed going to the High Line....The flowers were in bloom and so many people to sketch...(I took photos!..lol) As a child I lived on 10th Avenue and 25th ....it's such an amazing place to live now! of course, I had to visit!
    LOVE all the sketches ..especially the last one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joan, must have been an excellent day. Shows in the sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Halloween Joan! I am out here checking out your wonderful blog and fantastic art! So much to enjoy! Thank you buddy! You are one of the best art bloggers on the planet! Love all your latest sketches and photos!
    Boo!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an art filled day and some brilliant results

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much everyone!!! You are all invited to come sketch with me there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still find it hard to believe that you can just pop in to New York to sketch! Sounds so exotic! Looks like you had a great day and a lot of great sketches to show for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a fantastic day. Love all your sketches of the High Line. I really need to get out with you guys one of these weekends.

    ReplyDelete