Friday, August 17, 2018

Traveling Home

I left for the Riga airport fairly early, so I had breakfast after I went through security. There was such a cute pastry place in the terminal. I should have done a sketch of the cafe itself too but the breakfast looked too good to pass up sketching it.


The trip on Norwegian Air from Riga to Stockholm was pretty short, about 55 minutes, but I had a layover of quite a few hours at Stockholm Arlanda Airport. I was told my gate area wouldn't be open for several hours and that there were restaurants and shops down the other end of the airport. So I walked around quite a bit to get some exercise and checked things out. I did find out that Sweden doesn't use euros so I didn't have any money to buy anything. I did find a nice, interesting looking restaurant upstairs away from the craziness of the boarding gates. I sat at a table there for a long time doing these two sketches and then reading for a while.

This guy was checking his phone and snacking on something. I liked all the meats hanging from the ceiling. The restaurant was Italian.


This father and son had just finished eating when I decided to sketch them, but I was fairly sure they weren't going anywhere for a while. The boy was playing video games and the dad...checking out his phone. lol


I was there for quite a while and decided that the food that everyone was eating looked good. You ordered at the counter of the restaurant and could only pay with a charge card so I didn't need to worry about the currency. My very late lunch was pasta carbonara and a beer...not quite what I would think of as typical Swedish food. lol But it was quite good!


I walked around a little more but still had a little spare time so I found another location and sketched a few more people.


All of these were done on one single page that looks like this.


Out of all the flights I took, the flight from Stockholm to NYC on Norwegian had the strangest security. We stood in line to have our tickets and passports checked and then on another line where we were asked questions. They wanted to know where I was coming from. When I said I went to Latvia for a wedding they wanted to know the family name of the couple that got married, how long I was there and all kinds of other things. They questioned everyone thoroughly. While we waited for our tickets to be scanned I was talking to the ladies behind me. I told them I thought that now they knew more about my trip than my husband did. lol Anyway, the rest of the flight went well. US Customs had a short line and I was home on time!

5 comments:

  1. What a strange and funny recap of your trip from Riga to Stockholm to NYC as told to that lady. LOL. At least it wasn't bad clearing US Customs. It was fun reading your travelogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first sketch of your breakfast looks SO yummy... The food looks wonderful...not sure about the raw egg on the dish... Lol. Unless it's not an egg... As always, your sketches are so beautifully detailed!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It was a raw egg that got mixed into the carbonara. I've had it before but they never served it with he egg on top. Glad you enjoyed seeing the sketches from my trip.

      Delete
  3. A super sketching adventure Joan! I find the hardest part about travel (other than being away from home - lol) is the airports - I always hated that part. I am sure you are glad you went and glad you are home again. I enjoyed your posts and look forward to see what you are up to now you are home. have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete