Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Porto Day 5

On Friday I had my two workshops. In the morning I had Charlene Moreau and the title of her workshop was "Beyond the Trees." It was held at the Vititudes Park and the route she took was stairs almost straight up. My poor legs!!!

Charlene's method is to do an ink thumbnail complete with shading for lights, midtowns, and darks. Then we redrew the scene on watercolor paper in pencil using the pencil to shade the areas having midtowns or darks. Then indigo in various tones was used to shade the drawing.

Here you can see her pencil drawing and the beginning of her shading.


She continued with the midtowns and darks, slowly adding color. She works in a limited palette of sap green, indigo, purple, and a yellow. The only color she doesn't use indigo underneath is the yellow because it will become muddy.


Here is her finished painting.


Here is my thumbnail sketch done in ink.


Here is my finished sketch using Charlene Moreau's method. I loved the way this came out with the indigo shadows. This was one of my favorite sketches I did in Porto.


After lunch I met Roisin Cure' of Galway, Ireland, for my next workshop called "A Page of Porto Petiscos." Rosin showed us her secret to doing lettering after which we were sent out in Largo de S Domingos square to find a sign to do as well as something that caught our attentions. This was the square that my apartment overlooked so I wanted to do the Largo de S Domingos sign. All around Porto artists have decorated the utility boxes on the streets. This one was so festive looking and the store beside it used it to display some of the wares from the shop.


Rosin also showed us a fairly easy way to do the wonderful tiles that adorn so many of the buildings in Porto. She demonstrated by putting down a light wash of blue. When that was totally dry she did a bit of an abstracted version of the design using a slightly darker version of the same blue. Lastly she used  waterproof blue ink to highlight the darkest parts of the design.



Then it was my turn. She also asked us at the beginning of the workshop to listen to the people around us and record something that we overheard while we were sketching. A man had come over to me and asked me if he could take a photo of me, then he thanked me for visiting Porto.


The day was topped off with another wonderful dinner shared with some of my NYC friends plus Lin from Paris and Ana from Poland. It was a fun night!


8 comments:

  1. Great tip on how to do the tiles! Also interested in thumbnails and varying shades and tones of color. Your finished work really was your thumbnail sketch! I like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. Both workshops were really helpful. I enjoyed them.

      Delete
  2. Dear Joan I just love the idea of doing a thumbnail sketch with ink. It would certainly be helpful when you go to do the watercolor sketch. Yours is beautiful btw! Looks like you are having a wonderful learning experience. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the painting of the trees, very beautiful picture. You are very talented. Thanks for the share, have a fantastic rest of your day. Keep up the posts.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review of the workshops. You do your homework and try the techniques. Love your work after. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joan, what an absolutely wonderful post. Your techniques look like they are very instilled and you can incorporate what you are now learning. Your tree sketch is really marvelous. It is really great you get to attend these workshops, and in such wonderful places. Kudos again to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another super report on your day and the workshops. I liked the indigo piece and it sounds like a method I could try just from your description - thank you. We don't have decorated buildings or tiles here but I enjoyed seeing your sketch of that process too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete