Sunday, August 5, 2018

Porto Days 2 & 3

After a good night's sleep I was wide awake at 6:30 on Tuesday and starving. Unfortunately I hadn't shopped for food the day before and nothing was open yet. I did check the internet and the bakery by me opened at 7 so I headed there as soon as it opened. Porto and Portugal are known for their custard tarts called pasteis de nada...and they are delicious. The pastries aren't as sweet as we have at home, so that is my justification for being able to have them for breakfast. I picked up a coffee, a pasteis de nada and some kind of croissant that was also filled with custard and topped with powdered sugar. I just had to sketch it. It was hard to restrain myself. lol


I did some food shopping and then made plans to meet two of my friends at the Virtudes Park. I got directions from Googlemaps and headed off. Googlemaps gives you directions but you do not get an option for the least number of steep streets. lol It was an uphill climb until the last street. I picked a spot and sketched this scene from one of the terraced levels of the park. (Yes, that meant more climbing.)


The park was big and my friends couldn't find me. I thought I could find them easier so I had them describe their location. I found them and we all sketched a bit of this view.


For lunch we stopped at the Arvore Restaurante that had outdoor seating and a nice view that I was able to sketch. The food was good too.


I had enough time to go back to my apartment and relax a bit before a large group of us went out to dinner. I had my first Porto octopus! I was hooked!!


Wednesday morning we registered for the Porto Symposium.  We got in line and just kept meeting people that we knew from last year's symposium. It was fun to get together again. Once we registered we got to pick the demo we would be going to. I selected Ian Fennely from the UK. I liked his work and he was highly recommended by an internet friend.

Outside the Alfandega (which was an old customs house converted into a meeting venue) there were quirky little houses facing the river. Each one was different and fun to sketch. Every day there would be a line of sketchers facing that view and sketching.



Wednesday afternoon was the first sketchwalk of the symposium. All 800 of us headed toward the Luis I Bridge. There were sketchers sitting everywhere! Julie was sketching next to me.


Then I sketched some of the buildings across the Douro River.


That evening was the opening reception of the Symposium at the Alfandega hub. I was able to reconnect with friends and meet another friend who I had known just thought the internet probably for more than 15 years.

Lucy who had been part of our NYC Urban Sketchers until she moved back to France.

With my friend Tina Koyama from Seattle.

With my friend Kitty Van Den Heuvel from the Netherlands who I met in person for the first time at this symposium.







13 comments:

  1. I love reliving Porto this way!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. Doing this after getting home makes me relive it too!

      Delete
  2. I feel I just enjoyed a trip to the same places with you, Joan...
    You brought it all to life with your art and words. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed taking the trip with me, Julie.

      Delete
  3. Joan all your sketches are super. I cannot imagine the willpower it took to sketch those pastries before tasting them. I am proud of you 😊! Wonderful pics of you with your friends too. Looks like you had lots of fun. Have a wonderful trip. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Debbie said and Julie. So pleased to go along with you on your sketching journeys. You have energy and fill your sketches and writing with it. Lovely. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My word what a super day. I can't believe how many people attend these events and just boggled at 800 sketchers heading toward the bridge - wow! Super paintings Joan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wonder what the people thought as theses herds of people came by. lol

      Delete
  6. Super reminder of how fun and special that last symposium was!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your blog and your sketches and paintings are rest. Thank you for sharing your journey to Porto with beautiful personal illustrations!!

    ReplyDelete