Monday, August 6, 2018

Porto Day 4

Thursday morning was the first day of workshops or for those not registered for something, the second sketchwalk of the Porto Symposium was also scheduled. I checked the location where they would be sketching and rather than walk all the way to the hub and back up, I decided to meet them at the Fonte de Leoes. When I arrived there were already many sketchers busy working. I found a few of the NYC people...Pat, Benedicte, & Alan. I did one large sketch in my Strathmore Multi Media book. I was able to save whites for the water everywhere except in the center. I used a white gel pen there.


I didn't do any more than slightly shift my chair to look out of the plaza to capture some of the other sketchers busy at work. Of course I had to use artistic license and leave a lot of the sketchers out...or I would still be there sketching today.


At the end of the morning session we gathered for a throw-down of our work and some photos of the group. You can see the number of people who took part in the photos.





Pat, Benedicte and I walked down toward the hub together. Pat brought along her lunch but Benedicte and I stopped to eat on the way running into another NYC sketcher, Mel. In the afternoon there were some presentations and then we went downstairs to meet our demo instructor.  I sketched a bit outside until that happened. 

My instructor was Ian Fennelly who was so nice and very talented! He walked us to the location that he picked which was about a 15 minute walk... much of it uphill. Ian usually starts with watercolor first, but due to time constraints started with a light grey marker to draw the scene. He progressively used darker grey markers to redraw, add details, and shade.


He then moves on to drawing in black ink pens and brush pens to add more details and texture. I really enjoyed his demo and would love to take a workshop with him to see how he approaches the sketch starting with color.



There was a "drink & draw" that evening but I headed off to have something to eat and relax in the air-conditioned comfort of my apartment. I needed it! It had been another busy day.



4 comments:

  1. I am even more amazed at your energy. Sounds so interesting and fun. The sketches are amazing. You do water so well. After my plein air paint out I was completely exhausted and I didn’t have to go anywhere except a 40 minute drive. Wow, applause again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your fountain when I first saw it on FB! You saved out those whites beautifully! You know, I went to most of the sketchwalks,but I never saw a single throwdown! I guess I was always in the wrong place when it ended!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan, I’ve photos of Ian showing us his process during his first workshop. I’d gladly share them with you, if you like. Great to see you & Benedicte in the same restaurant that day. Very nice capture of the water fluidity in your sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sketches as usual, Joan. Especially nice of at the Fonte de Leoes. Really missed you this year. We couldn't make it at the last minute.

    So reading your blog is the next best thing. I would love to know more about Ian Fennelly's work, too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete