Saturday, March 16, 2013

Inspired by Maggie Latham

One of the bloggers who I have followed for a long time is Maggie Latham.
http://maggielathamstudios.blogspot.com
In addition to posting her own wonderful work she often teaches on her blog. She is presently doing lessons incorporating permanent ink with other water media. She started the lessons just as I was on the road to my workshop in Myrtle Beach so I am trying to do a few of them and catch up. I don't know if I will get to all the exercises but it is fun to see what she recommends doing.

I went to the Suffolk County Farm and Environmental Center in Yaphank. My favorite all time view there is from the exit ramp on the Long Island Expressway. You can see many of the small barns across the field as well as the silos. I have painted this a few times before. For safety reasons I always do this view from my car (NY drivers are crazy.) and every time I sit there I expect a police trouper's car to come over and see why I am sitting there for so long, but I guess they are too busy chasing down speeding cars. lol
Here are the three quick sketches I did.
I did the top sketch with my dip pen, a small brush, a bottle of India ink, and my water brush. I did have visions of spilling the ink in the car, so I made sure to put a towel on my lap for protection. Then being a colorist I couldn't resist adding some alizarin and yellow ochre tones.
The second sketch was done just with the dip pen and brush and some water from the water brush.
The bottom one was done with my Lamy pen with brown ink that is not very permanent.
Thanks, Maggie for some good ideas. I'll have to try a few more of the ideas you showed. I know my Myrtle Beach sunrises and palm trees are calling out to be combined into something.

9 comments:

  1. You are brave taking ink into your car!. Your sketches make the risk worthwhile though, nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely marvelous! I like you, love the colors, but those others are equally magnificently done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice line work! Pen and ink is so much fun... and low-maintenance (unless you spill the ink :0).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan, these are lovely! I’m so glad you went out and used ink on location.... I like that you used a different approach but the same subject. You have such a lovely way of combining painterly realism sketching with washes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these Joan. You did an amazing job. I'm saddening being pulled in to the monochromatic washes and tones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joan I really like these...the simplicity of the scene makes it so authentic for the subject matter...an era that is passing us by. As always your sketches inspire me so. Thanks for stopping by to visit as well. Take care my friend- looking forward to some of the Myrtle Beach sketches

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorraine - Thanks. I felt safe with the towel in my lap. lol

    Lin - You know i had to add a little color. lol Thanks.

    Tina - It wouldn't be a problem if I was using just my Lamy pen, but I wanted to try the dip pen too. Thank you,

    Maggie - Thanks. There is something so dramatic about the ink washes. I'll try something else soon.

    Sherry - Thank you. I like the monochromatics too, but color pulls me more.

    Debby - Thanks. I'm hoping to get something done soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lorraine - Thanks. I felt safe with the towel in my lap. lol

    Lin - You know i had to add a little color. lol Thanks.

    Tina - It wouldn't be a problem if I was using just my Lamy pen, but I wanted to try the dip pen too. Thank you,

    Maggie - Thanks. There is something so dramatic about the ink washes. I'll try something else soon.

    Sherry - Thank you. I like the monochromatics too, but color pulls me more.

    Debby - Thanks. I'm hoping to get something done soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely brave to use ink on location. Great sketches. Thanks for the 'how to' info.

    ReplyDelete