Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy New Year & Assorted Postings

 Happy New Year to all! 

I don't know how we reached the end of 2023 so quickly. The year just flew by! I hope you ended 2023 on a good note. Wishing you a 2024 filled with joy, peace, love, and inspiration. My thanks to you for following me along on my artistic journey. I really appreciate your support.

As one of my Christmas gifts Jerry got me a few new art materials that I needed or wanted. Here are a few of them. This was done as a continuous line sketch with watercolor added later.


I got a Christmas package in the mail from my niece, Jaime. A few years ago we decided to no longer exchange gifts among the families so it was surprising to see something from her. When I opened it I found something she had specially made from one of my sketches that I did last year of the steps for making my mom's pierogi recipe. She had it printed on a kitchen towel. She not only sent it to me but to my other siblings too who all make her recipe for the holidays. I thought it was so sweet of her. 


Here is the original sketch that she used.










7 comments:

  1. Such precious gifts from your loved ones! Wishing you a healthy, happy new year, Joan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you the same, Mel. Hope to get together with the group soon to sketch.

      Delete
  2. What a fun gift! Making the pierogi is sort of like our tamales. Time intensive but not really hard. Great you keep the tradition going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And some fun new tools. Great continuous line work.

      Delete
    2. They aren't hard to make. They just take a long time. When I go to Maine for Christmas we usually do them together so we have 4-6 people working on them. It helps, but then we have to make more. lol

      Delete
  3. Oh Joan what a wonderful Christmas present. I am sure you were so pleased by the thoughtfulness of your niece. Hubby did a good job too with those wonderful art supplies. Your sketch looks great. My mom loved pierogi's but never made them. We had something similar with cut- out dough squares cooked in chicken or beef broth and potatoes and onions. Have a super start to 2024 dear friend. Looking forward to seeing all your new art endeavors in the coming year. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thanks so much. I don't know if my niece who sent this has ever made pierogi. Her dad (my brother) and his wife make them every year. I don't know if the tradition has been passed on to their adult children. I do know the wife one of my nephews in NJ comes from a Polish background and helps make them with their church every year. And another nephew has made them with my sister in NJ but she just assists. I hope your 2024 is off to a good start. Enjoy!!

      Delete