Thursday, September 30, 2021

Portrait Sketches

 Last night the Patchogue Sketch Club met at the MOCA gallery in Patchogue for a portrait sketching session. Since this group meets in the evening at 6:30 the fact that we are losing light outside so early is making it impossible to continue our sketching outdoors. Mark arranged for use of the gallery space and we took turns posing for others to sketch us. Each person that modeled sat for about 20 minutes. I didn't think ahead and bring good drawing pencils so I had to work with what I had. This was good practice for next week when I think we will be having an actual model to draw. We got in 6 poses in all...and I was one of them so I only have 5 drawings from last night. One thing I know I have to work on is body proportions. The heads are always too large for the bodies I draw. I adjusted these a lot but I still can see that they need work.





When this young lady modeled I knew I had to do her in color so I could capture her sections of pink hair. I wish I had a pinker color...



5 comments:

  1. Joan I so admire your portrait sketches. I think drawing people has to be one of the hardest things an artist has to draw. Your last one is a winner. Glad you did her in colour. Have a great weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. It was nice to get some portrait practice done after quite a while.

      Delete
  2. I can see what you mean about the heads but these seem to have improved as the evening went by. I think still life with models has t be one of the hardest forms of art. Nice work over all Joan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks. The head on the first sketch was too big and I realized it, so I paid a little more attention as I went on.

      Delete
  3. Joan, absolutely fabulous and to get to go and sketch in person is a true winner.

    ReplyDelete