Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Battery Park Sketches

 

After spending the morning sketching the Charging Bull and his friends I headed down to Battery Park. There were a lot of vendors along the perimeter of the park selling all kinds of food, hats and sunglasses, and all kinds of touristy trinkets. I sat in the shade of a big tree to sketch a few of the vendors.


I still had a little time to sketch so I went over to Bowling Green Park, a small park in front of the National Museum of the American Indian. This park is the oldest NYC public park and was opened in 1733. I sketched a few of the people sitting around before our group had our show and tell.

This is actually a sketch of a guy whose girlfriend was asleep on his lap. Her curly head of hair was what drew me to the sketch.





4 comments:

  1. Wonderful sketches Joan. I took many reference photos of people walking or just sitting enjoying Battery Park. A great place to sketch!!! I miss visiting the City…. Maybe I’ll go back someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilda. My friend's husband drove us in so we didn't have to worry about public transportation. I'm still not ready for that.

      Delete
  2. Your city sketches make me want to visit NY. I went once way back in the 60s when JFK was first opened. TWA took us from Continental to get acquainted with the airport. We had about a 36 hour tour of the city, up all night! Then again in the 70s with our two oldest so just a quick 2 nights I think. Gene visited quite a bit. Love your sketches, about as close as I’ll get now. Thanks for the tours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It has probably changed quite a bit since you were here. It is an unusual city but there is nothing like it.

      Delete