Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Dahlia Garden

 Usually when I go to the dahlia garden at the Bayard Cutting Arboretum I focus on one flower. It was hot and sunny so I sat under the shade of a big tree and focused on the garden itself including the pergola, bench, and the birdbath. I wasn't too thrilled with how this came out originally because there wasn't enough light on the leaves over the pergola and they blended into the background too much. I ended up using gouache to lighten the greens there. I'm a little happier with it now, but still feel it is a little too dark there. For some of the texture on the flowers I used some oil pastel.



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Interesting we don’t see any problems, right? Just a pretty painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. You know what it is like when you have that view in your head and just can't get it down on paper. lol

      Delete
  2. Dear Joan I don't see any mistakes in this lovely sketch. You must have rescued it well with gouache and oil pastels. Hope your Labor Day was great and amazing how we are almost into the second weekend of September. Have a good one. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Debbie. My weekend was good but is is hard to believe how fast time is going. Have a great week or what is left of it!

      Delete