Thursday, September 9, 2021

Back to the City - Part 1

 My friend called and asked if I wanted to go into the city with her to meet the NYC Urban Sketchers on Sunday. Her husband said he would drive us in and drop us off where we were meeting. That meant I wouldn't have to walk too far or worry about public transportation. The weather forecast was for cloudy skies and a chance of showers so I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be a good pool day... so I said yes.

The group started off in City Hall Park which has a lovely fountain and a backdrop of lots of tall buildings. The park was pretty empty in the morning but a few people stopped by to see what we were doing. I found a good spot and started painting but after about a 40 minutes it started to drizzle. I covered up my sketchbook and moved over to an area that was pretty dry due to the thick foliage on the trees. It wasn't quite the same view but I had all the basics sketched in already and when it came time for the background buildings I got up to see what was there so I could paint it. 

We had lunch in the park and it was fun to catch up with a few people I hadn't seen the last time I got together with them. Some of the regulars who show up most of the time from Westchester couldn't get to the city because their rail line was so badly affected by the flooding we had. 



3 comments:

  1. Nice work on the fountain's flowing water! Happy to hear you were able to get into the city for this. I still haven't gone downtown to sketch since before the pandemic... :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. Without being able to go in with my friend and her husband I can't imagine when I would go back into the city. Right now using public transportation isn't for me due to my physical condition and Covid.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful you were able to get out and see some of your sketcher friends. Always good for the soul. Your sketch is fantastic even with the moves and rain. :-)

    ReplyDelete