Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Bayport Aerodrome - Part 1

 My friends, Suzala, her husband, Rick and I decided to attend an event at the Bayport Aerodrome on Sunday. The field  and museum are usually open for a few hours on Sundays...but once a year they open the entire grounds and the hangars as well as the museum to the community. There was musical entertainment, games for the kids, food, old classic cars, and lots of classic old planes. There were also raffles for biplane rides and those were taking place quite often leaving from the runway next to us. The Bayport Aerodrome is the only Long Island public airport with grass runways. It has national historic status and has been in use since 1910.

I got there before Suzala so I scoped out the planes nearest the entrance. I sat down to sketch one of the yellow planes. Luckily I had filled up my palette with paint the other night so I had some very clean cadmium yellow paint to use. A man came over a few times to look at what I was doing and comment. It turns out this was his "new" plane and he bought the painting from me. It was funny because my friend and her husband had gone there before and Suzala sketched one of the planes in her sketchbook. The owner of the plane asked to buy it but she didn't want to take it out of her sketchbook. Rick told me that the smart thing to do would be to work on loose paper and he was right. The owner was happy and I was happy also.





5 comments:

  1. I'll bet he was thrilled to own this wonderful sketch of his plane! I bet it was fun for you, too... you don't get to use solid yellow like that very often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. It was fun to sketch the plane and then a thrill that. the owner bought it. I'm glad I cleaned and replaced the cad yellow on my palette or he would have had a green tinged yellow plane. lol

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and a sale!! Great! I love the background and the whole sketch. Applause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful pleasure in selling the owner this beautiful painting. Such a magnificent job capturing the plane.

    ReplyDelete