Sunday, May 2, 2021

Roots Part 1

For this weekend's sketch event the NYC Urban Sketchers have been sketching our "roots.' Sketches and stories will help tell where we came from.

  My maternal grandparents came to the USA from a small town in Poland. When my parents married they lived in the same house with my grandparents and my uncle...sort of a two family house but really just a two kitchen house. Everything else was shared. We resided in a Polish neighborhood, went to a Polish church and school, and even marched in the Pulaski Day Parade in NYC. Of course we dressed for the occasion. Someone my mother knew rented traditional outfits to those of us who needed them. I have a photo somewhere of myself in the outfit, but couldn't find it to post it so I used a reference from the internet. After the parade we were bussed back to the church and we all went to the Polish National Hall for hotdogs and cream soda. With so many things Polish going on (my Mom & grandmother spoke Polish to each other and my grandfather almost always spoke Polish) you would think I would have learned the language...but no. I can say a few select things like beer, old woman, give me a kiss, and go to bed. lol



7 comments:

  1. It's cool to learn a bit of your family history! This outfit is so beautifully detailed and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The outfits were all so beautiful. The only time we ever wore them was for the parade and we rented them.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and nice story to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A charming painting Joan and I am sure it is so nice to have such memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful painting Joan...love the girl in the dress. My husband had polish relatives and I remember going to an anniversary party. Wow we had such fun. His one aunt was in her 80's but she could certainly Polka. So enjoyed reading about your roots Joan. Take care - Hugs!

    ReplyDelete