Saturday, January 30, 2021

View Toward the Bay

I recently did this sketch in Sayville while parked on River Road, where the ferry terminals and parking areas are located. There is usually a nice view of the boats but you can only park on the street during off season. Right now a lot of the boats are shrinkwrapped for the winter and the views aren't so great. I sketched this with one of the pens in my pen case assuming that the ink was waterproof, but when I added watercolor there was some bleeding. I decided to go with the flow anyway. 



9 comments:

  1. Really nice sketch. The bleeding gives sot of an antique look I lie the power lines,too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I think the power lines are part of the charm too.

      Delete
  2. An unexpected results bring joy or grief depending on how you look at it. Glad you let go with the flow. I like how it adds character to the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what happens when my regular Lamy is out of ink and I have to resort to a different pen. lol I'm never sure of what I'm going to get. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. So pretty -- nicely done JOan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those assumptions can be dire but this one looks like it went okay - I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if it was the ink or using the ink on this particular paper. A lot of the time I use my Stillman & Birn sketchbook which has tougher paper. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. The bleeding softens the lines and makes it more atmospheric - which I really like.

    ReplyDelete