Sunday, January 17, 2021

San Miguel de Allende

 On Saturday the NYC  Urban Sketchers took a virtual trip to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. It is a location that I have never visited but I have a connection to it. 

 Many, many years ago my sister, Fran went to San Miguel de Allende for the summer to take art classes. I'm not sure what year she went, but I think it was after she and I toured Europe together two summers in a row. I know I was jealous that she was going, but I think I must have been taking classes over the summer at Queens College to complete my degree. She did bring back an onyx candleholder for me which I still have some 45+ years later.

Our guide on Saturday provided a lot of links to walking tours and photographs of the city. I could happily sketch there in real life. I started with a sketch of this balloon vendor in the park. It was a scene I had to sketch.


Then I focused on La Parroquia de San Miguel Arcangel, a beautiful neo-Gothic 17th century church.


It wasn't quite the same as being there in person, but I had fun anyway.



8 comments:

  1. Very nice selections you made here! That was a fun outing at SMA and I'm sure there are a few of us now who would like to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. Looking at the town I can imagine all of us taking over the town and sketchers everywhere. lol Some day that will happen again.

      Delete
  2. Joan both sketches are good-I would never guess you had not been there in person. Love you shared about your gift from your sister. It sounds like she and you both have had some really lovely travels. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thanks so much! It was fun to have a reminder of her in a way that I hadn't thought about in a while. When we were young we did a lot of traveling together and she was my best friend. There are a lot of memories that I only shared with her and I miss having her here to share them with. I miss her.

      Delete
  3. I can see why you wanted to paint the first one... love the colors in the balloons... The church came out really good.... amazing details.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Hila. I enjoyed visiting virtually.

      Delete
  4. You are the queen of details and painting in far away places both in life and virtual. Love these.

    ReplyDelete