Monday, January 18, 2021

Ian Fennelly Workshop

When I attended the Urban Sketchers Symposium in Porto, Portugal I attended a demo by Ian Fennelly from the UK. I really like his style of sketching and I like him as a person. Since Porto I've been wanting to take a workshop with him. Recently Etchr Studio promoted a mini-workshop with Ian that was 2 hours long and was taking place on Saturday at noon. 

In addition to a live demo and the ability to interact with Ian the participants also get to download the video of the actual workshop to keep. All of this is for the bargain price of $5. Ian was so good and would demo a section of his painting and allow us time to do the same. He worked with a limited palette of 4 colors, some grey brush pens and assorted fine-line markers. When he did the demo in Porto he was sketching a street scene, so I know his method can be adapted to other subjects besides boats. I really enjoyed this!

I will be watching for other workshops being offered by Etchr Studios. 


8 comments:

  1. Wow, this is great Joan! Ian's process is so cool and he's wonderful, too. His class was the highlight of my Porto Symposium. You can't go wrong with a high quality Etchr class like that at such a low price. Looking forward for more Ian Fennelly inspired artworks from you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. It was great to watch him do the demo and follow along. He is also doing a longer workshop with them.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I didn't realize this was happening! I'll have to check for more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have been doing a lot of workshops. This one was a mini but they have some that are longer too. Shari did one for them that I saw.

      Delete
  3. Excellent you got to do this. Lovely sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I got to see him do the demo live and follow along. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Wow - how super!. It sounds like it is a real deal and you did a wonderful sketch from it. Maybe I will look that up. Thanks for sharing Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. The demo was great. He also has some videos on youtube that you can check out.

      Delete