Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020 in Review

 The last few years I did a review of my art for the year. Between the health crisis with my husband and the Covid 19 crisis, this has been one crazy year.  So this year's review will be a little different too.

Some of my artwork was very therapeutic and done at the hospital. Jerry got sick at the very beginning of January. I did a few sketches of him in the hospital in a variety of media, including ArtRage on my iPad. This was something I could control in a world where things were out of my control.




The hospital itself and the waiting room became subjects too.



I did one sketch on a mask. Who knew that shortly after that we would all be wearing them?


A friend was doing an art postcard project for the troops overseas. I started bringing postcards along with me when I visited Jerry and using photos on my iPad as subjects for the cards.



Finally in February Jerry was sent to a rehabilitation facility. I found a few subjects there like the cafe baker and a family that was there for a visit.



Then Covid 19 hit and in mid-March we weren't allowed to visit Jerry at all. That gave me a little more time to work on art, but more time to worry since I couldn't see him. It was a hard and frustrating time for both of us. I know it was hard on a lot of people who were in the same situation.

Once we were in lockdown, the art groups on the internet set up virtual events and visits to other cities. Since we couldn't travel IRL, we could travel virtually.


A friend recommended "Lefty Lucy Costumed in Quarantine" as a figure drawing experience on Zoom. Lucy has posed on Tuesday nights in a different costume for anyone who wants to sketch. I am still going to her events 10 months later.


A sketchbook group was organized and there were different free video lessons to follow. This one was on creating colorful quirky birds.


Right before the official lockdown I went out to visit my sister, Michelle, in NJ. We went out sketching in her town. That was the last time I saw anyone on my side of the family in person.


The NYC Urban Sketchers started meeting on Zoom too. Mark Liebowitz often hosted the weekend event but may times individual members organized a trip or visit to a special place. It has been a lot of fun and a way to connect with other sketchers, but not as good as meeting in person to sketch. We've sketched Savannah, GA, the mansions of Rhode Island, and zoos of the world... just to name a few places.




Like most groups the Patchogue Sketch Club met outside and practiced social distancing while we could but with the colder weather approaching and the shorter days we were forced to sketch as a group virtually since we sketch in the evening. Our organizer, Mark Propper, has set up a still life for us on Zoom every Wednesday night. Here is one of my favorites.


Recently I have been doing a lot of solo sketching from my "mobile studio" which serves me well. Here are a few views I've sketched from my car. This is a good way to sketch because I can easily practice social distancing since I rarely leave my car.



Of course Inktober took place again this year. It was fun to work with some different inks.


Something new for me this year was the challenge of painting on pieces of shingles for a fundraiser held by the Long Island Maritime Museum. I used acrylics to paint this tiny painting.


Quite a few of my sketches from this year have Covid reminders in them. This one was sketched from across the street from The Shed, a restaurant in West Sayville. Even now they have tables set up outside the restaurant and people have still been sitting with their "pods" in their winter finery having lunch. Many of my sketches also have people wearing masks. I am afraid that could be the trend next year too.


This year (at least recently) I have been trying to use my Strathmore toned sketchbooks a bit more. They work well for certain scenes. I am hoping to do more of them. Two good friends sent me a Stillman & Birn toned sketchbook that has 3 colors...tan, gray, and black. I am hoping to start using that one too.


I have a few regrets this year with my artwork. 
  • Yes, I miss traveling and sketching in new places, but more than that I have been doing a lot of sketching and very little actual painting. 
  • I am also doing a lot of outdoor sketching on my own and only rarely get together with another artist to work. I only joined up with my plein air group once because they go out in the morning and I am busy with Jerry at that time of day. 
  • I don't think I have painted anything larger than 6 x 8. I will have to remedy that in the new year.
  • Also, I really haven't worked on any gouache paintings or alcohol inks all year. Maybe that will have to be my goal for January. It seems that I there is a lot of work I need to get back to.
To all my friends and family, thank you for your support this year. It has meant a lot to me. I can't imagine how I would have handled this year without you.

I miss being able to see all of you and give each of you a big hug!!! Virtual visits can only do so much.

Thank you for looking back on this year with me. 
Wishing you a Happy New Year and a better, safer, healthier 2021!








11 comments:

  1. Truly, what a year it was! Glad to see it come to a close and to welcome the New Year with so much hope and respect for a better tomorrow. Cheers to you and Jerry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, thank you and thanks for being so supportive and inspiring this year. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. Joan you are to be thanked for continuing to sketch and post faithfully through all your challenges this past year. You always inspire me to keep on sketching even when life's happenings come my way. 2021 I believe will bring us back together with those we love and miss. Hope you can once again visit and spend time with your sister and gather with your sketching friends. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thanks so much. It is great to have people like you who have been so supportive and encouraging this past year. Here's looking to a 2021 filled with better times. Happy New Year to you and your family!

      Delete
  3. This was a great review of a challenging year that was doubly challenging for you. I am optimistic that 2021 will be better and brighter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am optimistic that things will improve. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. A difficult year indeed but I think many of us have learned a number of new things which isn't a bad thing. You may not have done large pieces but I think much of what you did was brilliant. I always look forward to your posts. Good luck in the new year for both you and Jerry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, you are so sweet. Thanks so much for your support! Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
  5. Joan, what a year! You are inspiring to keep at your art regardless of the circumstances. I have not been productive with my art and you “push” me to keep at it and as I said, inspire. Thank you .. a pleasure knowing you and hope we get together again sometime. Wishing you and Jerry a great year. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete