Sunday, May 10, 2020

San Diego Zoo

For my afternoon sketching with the NYC Urban Sketchers yesterday I headed over to the San Diego Zoo. It is a place I visited many times when I would go out and visit my sister and her family. We had a lot of good times there. I did the sketches in small frames but I overlapped them this time. People said they looked like animal cards.

First I watched the Elephant Cam. They were walking around quite a bit so I froze the screen when I got a fairly good pose. Next I moved to the Baboon Cam. They were easier to sketch because they were in a pose that really didn't change much...I guess grooming does that for you.


The Koala Cam moved around to different views, so I froze this view of the koala. They always curl up in the branches and usually face the opposite direction. lol The penguins were pretty active but I was able t focus on one at a time and sketched them in pencil first.


Here is how I composed the page for the entire day.


And last, but not least here is a photo I took at the Bayard Cutting Arboretum recently that I used for my Mother's Day Card. I hope all of you who in any way are responsible for the mothering or guidance of the children of the world had a wonderful Mother's Day!


9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful menagerie, Joan! Your sketches are an absolute delight! And those flowers! You are an awesome photographer as well. Hope your day was a good one:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Chris. The zoo had some interesting things to sketch!!

      Delete
  2. I like your fun card-style of animal sketches! Very nice montage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We miss having you sketch with us, Mel. Thanks!!

      Delete
  3. The animals came out so well. Love the overlapping.
    Pretty card, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all wonderful Joan and I enjoyed taking a look at the cam you mentioned too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to watch the cams. Thanks for looking!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful animal sketches Joan. I'm looking forward to visiting the Bronx Zoo. One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete