Saturday, March 14, 2020

Waldwick Erie Interlocking Tower

I spent the day in New Jersey with my sister, Mickey, today. I think the last time we got together was at my nephew's wedding back in October...so we celebrated Christmas today and then went out sketching.
I had checked the internet for a historical building there that I've always wanted to see and sketch, but instead I found a spot right in her town that looked interesting. So we went to the Waldwick Erie Interlocking Tower instead which was built in 1886. The tower is like a traffic control tower which monitored the train movements on the tracks below and gave the operators a commanding view of the train yard. At its height, the yard operated 24 hours a day and handled 100 trains a day. It is now on the National Register of Historic Places. We decided it was too windy and cool to sit outside so we sketched from my mobile studio.


7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Isn't it? I'm so glad we searched for it.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Ohh, so great. Super perspective and lines. Happy you got out and about with your sister. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. We sketched and we walked in the park too...a good day.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful painting Joan.How nice that you were able to spend time with your sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. She doesn't live that far from me but we don't get together much. She doesn't like driving on parkways so it is up to me to get to her.

      Delete
  4. This is definitely an interesting building to sketch, Joan. I'm glad you were able to get together with your sister...too many times Life gets in the way and we don't get the chance to do what we want to. My sister lives in Ridge and I haven't seen her in a few months....!!!!

    ReplyDelete