Thursday, March 26, 2020

Sketchbook Revival Lessons

There are all kinds of art projects, lessons, and workshops taking place online while we are all doing our social distancing at home. I've signed up for Sketchbook Revival with Karen Abend. She has sponsored free lessons before and have enjoyed some of them. For each revival she invites a group of artist to each do a lesson. I watched the first session which was in several parts but never got any of the activities done for that one. I may go back to it yet.

I am being choosy about which lessons I do. Carla Sondheim did a fun lesson the other day doing sketches from blobs of paint. You do some random blobs of paint with a knife and a scraper and then look at the shape turning it into something...sometimes you have to turn the blob in a different direction to "see" something. It was fun to do. Here are my blobs.






Yesterday Tamara Laporte did a lesson on creating "quirky birds." I had a lot of fun with this and will probably try another one. I think they would make fun prints for cards. This combined watercolors, posca pens, white gel pen, and acrylic paints. 




4 comments:

  1. The Blobs are fun! It's amazing what you can turn them into. I can see why your "quirky bird" creation is another fun project. It's cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mel. It was fun because there didn't have to be a likeness to anything...just let loose!

      Delete
  2. Nicely done Joan. I started watching the Sketchbook revival videos but decided they just weren't my thing but it is fun to see what you are doing with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks. Some of them aren't my thing either. I've watched a few of them that I wouldn't bother doing. The lettering ones were interesting.

      Delete