Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Virtual Tour of the NYBG Orchid Show

In this crazy time there are all kinds of art activities to participate in. I never get to meet up with the weekday NYC Urban Sketchers Group that is organized by Cathy Gutterman in Westchester. Today she had the group go on a virtual walk through The Orchid Show at the New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx. It was a fun and informative tour. I thought it was going to be live, but it was prerecorded which turned out to be a good thing because I was able to go back and watch parts again and add additional details.

The tour started in the Conservancy Greenhouse which is where all special programs are located. I am a NYBG member, but due to the virus the gardens are closed. The display was designed by Jeff Leatham and the tour was led by Marc Hachadourian, Director of Glasshouse Horticulture  and Senior Curator of Orchids. I sketched several views of the Greenhouse as we walked along.

As you enter the Greenhouse there is a water feature and above it is this lovely grid of Vanda orchids in fuscia and purple.


Next we went to the American Desert Gallery which is presently being renovated and is closed to the public. I've sketched there many times.


A colorful tunnel connects the sections of the Conservancy.


Each of the above sketches were small and are all on the same sketchbook page.


As the tour continued, I sketched a few of the many different orchids. I also sketched Marc showing a  small orchid plant.


My thanks to Cathy for organizing this. It was fun! If you would like to see the tour you can follow this link.

2 comments:

  1. Very creative way to do urban sketching from home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super way to gather and share the experience. Thanks for the link Joan!

    ReplyDelete