Sunday, January 10, 2016

30 Paintings in 30 Days - Day 10 - Orchids

I love visiting the Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay. Their greenhouse has a wonderful room filled with orchids and once a year they have an orchid show. The inspiration for this painting for Day 10 of "30 Paintings in 30 Days" was a photo I took at their orchid show.


If you would like to see some of the other fantastic work that is being posted for the challenge, the link is here:

I have still been doing some digital sketches using Artrage on my iPad. This was done at Robert Moses State Park on New Years Day. It was cold so I sat in the parking lot facing the lighthouse. The park was crowded. I think a lot of people visit the beach on the 1st day of the year. There was even a big group having a New Years Day tailgate party. When I was done with the sketch I took a walk along the boardwalk to the lighthouse and back which is probably about 1 1/2 miles roundtrip. It was a good way to start the year.



5 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous Joan! I love orchids! You've got the values perfectly here.
    This is the second time I've heard about "tailgate" parties. The first was a couple of days ago on one of Leslie Saeta's posts. What does it mean exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both paintings are beautiful!!!
    I didn't manage to keep up with the previous challenge of Leslie, so I decided not to start this time.
    Now, watching your wonderful floral watercolors, I feel like I should have give it a try again. I hope I will have more free time for the next challenge.
    In the mean while I will enjoy just watching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Wendy. Tailgate parties are gatherings usually held before (or sometimes after) a sporting event. People party, barbecue, and have a get-together with their friends who are going to the same event. They started here with football games but they have expanded to all kinds of events. They are named because people put down the tailgates on their trucks and take out all their food and coolers.

    Oty, thanks. I had fun the last time, so I decided to do it again. I try to get ahead by at least a day so that if something keeps me from painting I have some thing ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Joan - just lovely friend. The digital work is super too. Hope you have a great week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Debbie! Have a great one!!

    ReplyDelete