Sunday, June 2, 2024

Fire Island Paint Out & News

On the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend, the Wet Paints Studio Group organized a paint out at the Fire Island Lighthouse. Artists were invited to come on Friday or Saturday and paint somewhere on the grounds near the lighthouse. I've done his paint out several times and always enjoy it. The pieces created are now hanging in the lens house of the lighthouse and are for sale, with part of the proceeds going toward the lighthouse.

My first painting is 8 x 10 and was painted from the eastern end of Robert Moses Field 5. I like that view with the lighthouse peeking out behind the dunes.


The paintings had to be brought to the lens house which is about 3/4 of a mile walk from the parking lot. I framed the painting above, put it in my cart, and took another 2 frames (I was being optomistic) and the materials I would need to get them ready to hang. I walked nearly to the lens house and found another view of the lighthouse that I liked. 
There was a lot of foot traffic going back and forth to the lighthouse and a lot of people stopped to see what I was doing and chat with me for a few minutes. One person who stopped by came over and asked me if I was Joan. He recognized me from Facebook where we are friends. We hadn't met in person before. Needless to say that with all the socializing I only got one more painting done. When I finished framing the painting I headed over to the lens house. A few artist friends were there painting, so I relaxed for a few minutes before I turned in my paintings. My thanks to Carol Corbett who always organizes this event. The paintings will be hanging there for sale until the end of the month. This painting was smaller...5 x 7.


This weekend the South Bay Art Association had their 64th Annual Members Show. I had been out painting on Saturday but made it back in time to head over to the reception in Bellport. When I got there I found out that I had received a ribbon for 1st place in watercolors. I was surprised and thrilled. My painting is at the top.




 

2 comments:

  1. First congratulations on the 1st place at the SBAA show! Excellent and a beauty of a painting. Second, you did so well on the lighthouse paintings and quickly for the show. You are an amazing watercolorist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, thank you. I really enjoy finding views of the lighthouse to paint.

      Delete