Sunday, June 16, 2024

30x30DirectWatercolor #16 & Holbein Workshop

I am always attracted to umbrellas and if they are red that's the icing on the cake. My 16th 30x30 Direct Watercolor was done at the Greek Bites Gill in Moriches. This time I can say I've been inside and have sampled their food, which is really good. 


Recently the Patchogue Arts Council hosted a Holbein Workshop where the Long Island representative, Jim Minet had us try out assorted Holbein art materials, watercolor mediums,  and Legion papers like Stonehenge and Yupo.

We started with Hobein watercolors on Stonehenge paper using a reference photo. We moved on to Holbein gouache and their acrylic gouache.


We tried painting on Yupo paper, a synthetic, plastic-like surface. I forgot how much fun that was to use...and also how frustrating too.


Jim also had us work on their black paper. The gouache especially worked well on that. In addition we tried the Holbein irridescent medium that can be used with watercolor or gouache.


Below you can see the irridescent medium in the shell I painted. I think all the participants enjoyed the workshop and the freebies that we went home with at the end of the night.



2 comments:

  1. Oooh, look at those red umbrellas. Glad the food was good. Great to have a demo with goodies. Looks like fun. Pretty results.

    ReplyDelete