Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Farm at the Arboretum

On Sunday I went to the Bayard Cutting Arboretum in Oakdale. As homework for Marc Taro Holmes's class we were supposed to create a themed page that tells a story. The arboretum has a section with a farm that grows food for the needy. You can see the big, white barn, I started with that. Then I went to sketch the sunflowers which were definitely past their prime, but I don't mind them droopy. There were tomatoes on a vine and an enclosed area with lots of chickens, who really didn't stay still at all, especially if they thought someone came over and might have food. Then it was a race to that side of the enclosure.


5 comments:

  1. I loved visiting Bayard Cutting Arboretum but didn't see everything since we went late...I would love to go back! Love your sketches as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely "story," Joan! I love your chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I love the droopy sunflowers - very special. I am seeing them all over the place here in NM. You have encouraged me to try and paint them while they are in repose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautifully composed and a lovely job painting all the objects, especially the chickens. The tomatoes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Hilda. The grounds are extensive and it is hard to see everything in one day.

    Thank you, Tina. I was thinking of your chickens at the fair.

    Julie, thanks. They have some charm when they start drooping.

    Thanks, Celia. It was fun to do a whole page. I'll have to try another one.

    ReplyDelete