Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Madison Park Sketches

On Saturday I spent most of the day in Madison Park at 23rd St and Fifth Avenue with the NYC Urban Sketches. Mark, our fearless leader finds some really interesting art exhibits for us to sketch. 

Here is what he posted on our blog about this particular art installation.
"Teresita Fernandez's installation, Fata Morgana (an Italian phrase meaning mirage) is the Park Conservancy's largest and most ambitious outdoor sculpture to date. The outdoor sculpture consists of one and a half football fields worth of golden, mirror-polished discs that create canopies above the pathways around the park's central oval lawn. The metal forms, perforated with intricate patterns reminiscent of foliage, will create abstract flickering effects as sunlight filters through the canopy, casting a golden glow across the expanse of the work, paths, and passersby." 
(LOL I couldn't have explained it better myself.)



It was interesting but not so easy to sketch...but I gave it a try.



Of course it was a beautiful day and people were really enjoying the park. I loved this group having a picnic on the lawn.


This couple was enjoying the sun.








7 comments:

  1. Your perspective skills really came into play with this project...I caught the idea really easily and would have loved to be able to walk thru the installation. All the sketches are wonderful. I bet the group enjoys having you along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Julie's comment! You did an awesome job and I actually prefer your sketch to the photo because I can see what it looks like in total/situ. I need a fearless leader! LoL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely wonderful!!!! Ditto that tricky perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Julie. It was an impressive exhibit.

    Sherry, thanks! It helps to have someone who comes up with different ideas of places to sketch.

    Thanks, Lin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, ambitious sculpture. And ambitious sketcher! Thanks for taking us there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been to Madison Square Park and have seen that exhibit. I'm very impressed that you even tried to sketch it, let alone the wonderful job you did. It's a cool installation, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to Madison Square Park and have seen that exhibit. I'm very impressed that you even tried to sketch it, let alone the wonderful job you did. It's a cool installation, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete